5 Inspirational Health and Beauty Quotes
When it comes to health and beauty, many of us find inspiration in the glossy pages of magazines, where models are shellacked and airbrushed to within an inch of their natural life. But is this really the paradigm of personal appearance that we want to aspire to – something that is actually, factually unattainable without special effects wizardry? Wouldn’t it be better to take inspiration from people who are out there hitting the pavement to get fit, lose weight, and train for a marathon, or from those who have found beauty within themselves, regardless of how the outside packaging looks? Health and beauty may not come naturally to all of us, but we can find ways to achieve them with what we are given. And here are just a few quotes that may inspire you to hit the gym, eat right, and spend a few minutes on your appearance each day.
- “Once we accept our limits, we go beyond them.” – Albert Einstein. Einstein may have been speaking about intellectual pursuits, but what is the quest for health and beauty if not one fraught with limitations? My nose is too big. I can’t run. I’ll never be a size two. When we admit these things to ourselves we can move past them and begin the process of creating realistic goals and planning the steps to reach them. Setting aside the preconceived limits that are holding you back will help you to move forward.
- “You become what you behold.” – William Blake. If you look in the mirror and all you see is the negative, you’re going to become a negative person. You can’t feel good when all you focus on is big hips or frizzy hair, and you won’t be able to hide your feelings from others. Instead, make a concerted effort to praise yourself. Love your curvy, hourglass shape – you don’t know how many women would love to have it! Appreciate your sparkling eyes, high cheekbones, or full lips. When you love yourself, it’s a lot easier to visualize improving on the parts that aren’t quite perfect.
- “A healthy attitude is contagious but don’t wait to catch it from others. Be a carrier.” – Tom Stoppard. When you talk to people who are fit and healthy, especially if they started out overweight or facing other health issues, you may be inspired to make a change in your own life. Just don’t forget that you can be that catalyst for others, as well. Are you determined to start walking at lunch and lose a few pounds? Show your friends at work that you just fit into a smaller jean size and maybe they’ll provide you with some company on your walks.
- “Hollywood is a place where they’ll pay you a thousand dollars for a kiss and fifty cents for your soul.” – Marilyn Monroe. There may be no greater icon of beauty than Marilyn Monroe, but she had plenty in the brains department, as well. Hollywood has permeated our culture with a physical ideal that requires cosmetic surgery and a personal trainer. But it totally discounts the value of what is inside. So take a cue from Monroe, who epitomized the Hollywood persona but ultimately perished under its weight. Don’t betray your own values just to attain something as fleeting as physical beauty.
- “Who looks outside, dreams. Who looks inside, awakens.” – Carl Jung. You don’t necessarily need inspirational quotes to know that you’re beautiful inside and out, but you do need to know yourself and your own value. And you need to attend to your health and wellness in order to look and feel your best. This is what makes you truly beautiful to yourself and others.